Join us in our mission
We’re always on the lookout for exceptional people.
If you think you have what it takes, send your CV and a cover letter detailing why you think you’re up for the challenge to email@example.com.
Vacant positions you can apply for now:
All positions are based at our office in Cape Town unless otherwise specified. Siyavula Education Pty Ltd reserves the right not to fill these positions.
We are seeking to actively scale our business and increase our customer base of learners and parents. To do so, we are looking for a passionate marketer, who can balance a practical mindset with a creative business acumen, to jump into this new role. Sound exciting? Check out the details below.
Interested in joining our team in building a robust, scalable software service to help Maths and Science education around the world? If you've got the drive and the skills, let us know.
What we’re like to work with
At Siyavula, we’re seriously passionate about improving maths and science education and we've got a unqiue product worth throwing our weight behind. We're set to expand our reach, taking our online learning platform not just further into South Africa, but also out to the rest of the world.
Our highly-driven team work out of offices in the centre of Cape Town - best city on the planet. We’re proud geeks and no, that does not mean we all have backgrounds in the hard-core Sciences :) We’re interested in people who are good at coming alongside and working together on a project, but are also capable of managing their own efforts, getting on a with the job at hand and delivering a high-quality product, every time.
We’re a start-up and start-up culture permeates a lot of what we do. We work with a relatively-flat organisational structure, have plenty of coffee (it powers our office), eat lunch together on a Friday, enjoy flexible work hours and our shutdown over Christmas doesn’t come out of your leave - Bonus!
We’re working hard to make a big difference and to enjoying the ride. If this sounds appealing to you, get in touch.
The kind of work you will be part of
Siyavula develops and markets an online subscription service that helps learners excel at maths and science. Siyavula sells this service to schools for use in classrooms as well as directly to parents and learners. As an affordable education offering developed with a mobile-first approach, we service a wide range of individual consumers across the LSM spectrum. We are seeking to actively scale our direct-to-consumer business and increase the overall customer base of subscribed parents and learners.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced Marketing Manager to oversee all marketing operations of the company and to develop and implement our marketing strategy and vision.
This is a new function within Siyavula - a startup company entering the scaling phase. The candidate has both the opportunity of envisioning a fresh marketing strategy and the challenge of starting off in a new role, servicing a new function. You will need a hands-on approach and be prepared to plan and execute the work in this new role.
We are looking for a passionate marketer who can balance a practical mindset with a creative business acumen and who can help bring about a greater focus on our customers, steward and build our brands, and drive the activities required to grow the customer base.
- Define marketing strategies to support the company’s overall strategies and objectives.
- Analyse market trends and recommend changes to marketing strategies based on analysis and feedback.
- Develop a feasible marketing plan and run the day-to-day implementation.
- Take ownership of attaining and maintaining a deep understanding of our customers, their needs and demand sets.
- Develop, promote and maintain a strong focus on our customers within the organisation as a whole.
- Participate in the product development and design process to ensure product alignment with customer needs and market trends.
- Act as steward and manager of the company brands.
- Coordinate all communications with our customers and the market.
- Design and coordinate advertising and promotional campaigns across digital and other channels.
- Design and coordinate PR, relationship and social marketing efforts across various platforms.
- Work with the business development team to build and service distributor relationships and coordinate promotional campaigns with distributors.
- Monitor and report on the marketing activities and related metrics.
- Maintain effective internal communications to ensure that all relevant internal stakeholders are kept informed.
- Proven experience as Marketing Manager or similar role.
- Results-driven as success in this role will primarily be measured by growth in our paying customer base.
- Demonstrable experience in developing efficient strategies and plans for all marketing aspects (branding, product promotion, market segmentation etc.)
- Previous experience in taking a consumer product to market using advertising or retail distribution channels.
- Solid understanding of market research and data analysis methods.
- Ability to apply marketing techniques over digital (e.g. social media) and non-digital (e.g. press) channels.
- Understanding of different business disciplines (IT, finance etc.)
- A leader with both creative and analytical capabilities.
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal abilities.
- B.Comm or other relevant qualification in business administration, marketing or communications.
Market-related, negotiable depending on experience.
Send a letter of motivation and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing Manager” and we will get back to you.
Applications close on the 28th of February 2017.
Full-stack Python Developer
The kind of work you could be part of
You would be working within a relatively small team of software devs (±5) who work closely with each other and the rest of the organisation. We have adopted some industry best practices and want to see your skills grow as much as you do. At Siyavula, you’ll be exposed to automated tests, static code analysis, peer review and a culture that is big on constant learning. Our development process is focused on being agile, but not slavishly adherent to any one way of being agile and we’re figuring out a lot of stuff as we grow and as our product grows.
At Siyavula you would:
- craft features to make learning more effective and fun, improving maths and science education;
- forge tools to help teachers see where students are struggling and to gauge the effectiveness of their own teaching practices; and
- build software tools that our own team of super-heroes can use to function at their best.
What we're looking for
We’re interested in finding keen minds that want to make a difference - in South Africa and around the world. We value continuous learning, using MOOC’s, participation in local conferences (eg. PyCon) and/or any other approach that helps you to become better at what you do.
We’re looking specifically for an experienced dev for this role (4+ years in web development) - a battle-hardened software craftsman who's fought with programming challenges and won!
We use Python, Pyramid, SQL Alchemy, PostgreSQL, Jinja, SASS and git. If you don’t know some of these but still think you’ve got what it takes, get in touch and we'll send you our coding challenge so you can amaze us.
In line with experience and market related.
Send an email with a cover letter and your CV to email@example.com with the subject line “Full-stack Python Developer” and we’ll get back to you. We look forward to hearing from you!
What are we passionate about?
"I have an opportunity to make an impact on thousands of students scattered in several countries. It’s a responsibility that I take seriously."
"I am enthusiastic about education because it is a tranformative and empowering process. Education improves societies. I am also keenly tuned in to maths, which is unique in its pristine elegance and provides numerous surprises."
"I love the fact that the work I do is in some small way contributing to improving society. I believe change has a ripple effect."
"I am fascinated and enthralled by the experience and possibilities at which maths, science, art, design and curiosity collide."
"I enjoy tackling large and seemingly unsolvable problems and learning a lot in the process of solving the problem."
"I'm dead passionate about striking a balance between purely academic knowledge, practical experience as well as creative endeavours."
"Chemistry opens up a whole other way of seeing things, a different way of understanding the world around us. That fascinates me, and I'd like to pass on this interest in understanding the world we live in."
"I think what I like most about Siyavula is the deep sense of personal fulfillment that I get from working with a technological product that assists young learners."
"I am fascinated by how we (as individuals and groups) think, learn, create and communicate."
"My passion is to get things done."
"I am passionate about assisting the youth from disadvantaged backgrounds reach highest standards in education in spite of what they lack in resources."
"Teaching others so that they can harness the power that physics knowledge grants as well as appreciate the intrinsic beauty of the subject is one of my greatest passions."
"I love being surrounded by people who challenge and push me to better myself. Working as part of the Siyavula team definitely has this covered!"
"As someone who is not originally from South Africa, I am passionate about making a positive impact in this country, which has been so good to me."
"I care deeply about helping people reach their full potential and think that education is a tool for true empowerment. I love astronomy."
"I believe that science is really about learning how to ask and answer questions about the surprising, fascinating world in which we live."
"I am passionate about the way education can shape and change someone behavior and approach to life. That moment a student realises he/she has applied something they thought impossible to grasp at first."
"I really love that energy that comes from a group of us collectively finding a better way to do things more effectively. I also love solving problems."
"I really enjoy working with teachers to understand their individual and very, very unique situations."