Jakes Gerwel Fellowship
A full university scholarship that provides extensive mentoring and leadership development for top learners with a passion for teaching and education.
Why choose Jakes Gerwel Fellowship?
The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship looks for individuals who will be at the forefront of solving some of South Africa’s most significant educational challenges.
- The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship, founded in 2017, is fully funded by the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Endowment Teaching Initiative.
- Beneficiaries start their studies at either the University of Cape Town or University of Pretoria, as part of the Undergraduate Teaching Fellowship
- After their three-year undergraduate qualification, beneficiaries complete a PGCE at either the University of Cape Town, the University of Pretoria, the University of the Witwatersrand, the University of Johannesburg or the University of the Western Cape, as part of the Graduate Teaching Fellowship.
There are three entry points into the Fellowship:
- Grade 12s and first year level students can apply as part of the undergraduate intake
- Final year students can apply to be part of the PGCE intake
How do I apply?
To apply for a Jakes Gerwel scholarship, you must:
- Be a South African citizen or permanent resident,
- Be under the age of 23 (for undergraduate degree) or 30 (for PGCE), and
- Have obtained an average of 65% or above (excluding Life Orientation) for Grade 11
The application process, which is done online, is as follows:
- Complete an Eligibility Quiz as the first part of our application process
- Once this is complete, and if you are eligible for the Fellowship, you will be redirected to the next part of the application process.
For more information, please visit the website at: jgfellowship.org